These are the themes that will be explored to supplement the traditional historical and cultural content. The corresponding essential questions will guide the exploration.
- The Internet and Society - Introductory Theme
- How have past advances in technology influenced communications?
- How do people use the Internet?
- How can the Internet be used as a tool for education and social change?
Youth and Society - Mexico and Zimbabwe
- What roles do youth play in communities throughout the world?
- What rights and responsibilities should youth have?
- How can young people create change in their communities?
Indigenous People - Guatemala
- Who are indigenous people?
- How has Western European expansion impacted indigenous communities?
- What are some of the relationships the Western world has with indigenous
- What is indigenism/indigenismo?
The Environment and Development - Peru
- What do we mean by the environment?
- What is development? Who benefits from development?
- What forces lead people to abuse or degrade the environment?
- What forms of development are environmentally sustainable?
Social Change in Theory and Practice - Mali and China
- How have human beings changed their societies throughout history?
- What are some current social change movements?
- How can people work to improve their communities today?
Gender Roles and Representations - Egypt
- How do social roles of men and women vary in different cultures?
- What gender issues have been raised around the world?
- How are people of one culture likely to perceive gender roles in another
The Nature of Conflict - Israel
- What is conflict?
- What are the major causes of conflict between communities?
- What approaches do communities use to resolve conflict?
Wealth and Poverty - Turkey
- Who is rich and who is poor?
- How does wealth get divided?
- What are the underlying causes of poverty?
- What are the effects of an unequal distribution of wealth on a community?
Community - Iran
- What is community?
- Why do individuals participate in communities?
- How does my community affect my life?
- What do I owe to my community?
The Global Community - India
- What is globalization?
- Why is globalization occurring?
- What impact does globalization have on communities around the world?
- How do communities preserve their cultural identities?
Click here to return to the orientation.