|Click on the update you want to explore. A new window will open,
so you can always close it and come back here! |
Trekking - US to Guatemala
(January 12 - February 3, 1999)
January 12: San
Francisco - Meet the Team
January 16: San Francisco - School Visits & Departure
- Meet the individuals that make up the
- Get ready, get set, go. . . Prepare for two years of world trekking.
January 20: Trekking: Mexico-Guatemala
participating schools for special send-off ceremonies.
- Share expectations about the trip with other
- Say goodbye to the trekking ambassadors as they begin their adventures
dedicated to service, education, and exploration.
January 23: Mexico City
- Try out three different methods to cross the border into Mexico.
- Dive into Mexican
history with an introduction to the Aztec heritage.
- Learn about the historic controversy of
migration to the US.
January 27: Entering Maya Territory - Southern Mexico
- Reunite in Mexico
City after a 44-hour bus ride from Tijuana.
- Glimpse modern day life in Mexico
through the eyes of hip skater kids.
- Experience the diversity of the capital - from ancient
ruins to the set of a modern Mexican soap opera to a Cuban-style dance hall to a
January 30: Trekking: Mexico - Guatemala
Teotihuacan, home of the world's third largest pyramid.
- Travel with the entire group to the
ancient city of Palenque and experience a run-in with monkeys.
- Explore the region of
Chiapas and learn about the Zapatista revolutionary movement and environmental
concerns of the region.
Feb 3: More on the Maya and the Markets
- Monica and Abeja
explore the magical ruins of Tikal and then head off to the capital city.
- Sean and Kavitha head south
from San Cristobal, stopping in Quetzaltenango, a city of mostly indigenous Mayan
- Go with Klaus and Jamila to the other Mayan cities of Uxmal and Chichen
Itza. They are heading to Belize by way of Tikal.
- If all goes according to plan,
the group will meet up once again on Feb. 7.
- Scattered throughout Mexico City, Jamila and Klaus battle the countless
stairs of Chichen Itza and Palenque in the rain.
- Learn how the city of Merida
prepares for Carnival, Latin America's biggest party.
- Get lost with the vegetarian
trekkers in a Mexican meat market.
- Settle in with Monica in her new home in Concepcion,
where she begins three weeks of working with the indigenous rights group, GAM.