| ||Click on the update you want to explore. A new window will open, so you can always close it
and come back here! |
The Team in Peru
(April 7 - May 29, 1999)
April 7, 1999: The Team in South America
April 10, 1999:
Digging into the Mystery of Peruvian Culture
- Planes, trains and automobiles? Not a chance! Try taking a cargo boat
from Panama to Colombia!
- $25 food and shelter budget for 3 people for a week? You have to be
kidding! Kavitha, Shawn and Monica forage in the jungle for breakfast when their boat trip is
- Scared of death? The Lord of Sipan made sure he'd have enough food and water to
make it to his final destination. Check out what else is in his tomb!
April 14, 1999: High
Tech Trekkin' Through Ancient Terrain
- Who would ever want to go to Peru in the
first place? It's not like the world's deepest canyon, the largest lake in South America and
some of the most famous ruins in the world are uncommon, right?
- Thirsty? How about a goblet full of the
blood of sacrificed victims? Abefa digs into the history of the Moche Pyramid of the Sun.
about style: Kevin veiws a fashion show of ancient Peruvian culture and see t-shirts made of
- Monica tracks the clues to find out when and how her digital camera and computer
were stolen. Now there's a reward out for whomever catches the thief!
April 17, 1999: Peru - More Adventure and Scandal than
- A mud palace? Kevin explores the
defenses of Chan Chan - the largest mud city in the world.
- We heard she was looking
thin, but could this be right? Nature plays tricks on Monica when she stands on the
- Brrrrrrrr! It's a naked Shawn! He's lost his boots and jacket
already - what's next?!
- Shawn aprende español! Can you find the errors in his
first Spanish dispatch?
April 21, 1999: Peruvian Meals, Mysteries and Tombs!
- Perhaps Shawn should be the next OO7. In one day he
travels through two countries, he's robbed, and he rides off into the sunset on a motorcycle!
"colonialism" make you think of pilgrims or the "Boston Tea-Party"?
Peru has its own story of colonialism, only it involves guano (bird poop), not
- What do Nepal, Big Mountain, Arizona, Todos Santos, Guatemala and Hauraz, Peru
have in common? Kavitha discovers connections between people across the globe.
- We've all
heard of the sculpture, "The Thinker," but what about sculptures of decapitated
heads, gushing blood and popped out eyeballs? Maybe we should visit the ruins at Sechin
April 24, 1999: Peru, Potato Chips and a Pot of
- Hey, it's
dark in here! Shawn's flashlight goes out on him when he is exploring the
underground tunnels at Chavin. Are those bats flying around his head?!
Crocker never served this up for dinner. Kevin has to eat cuy!
- Sherlock Monica spots a
giant monkey, an enormous bird and a huge
spider! Is this a zoo, an art exhibit, an agricultural reminder
or a ritual?
- Your eyes may be the window to your soul, but these windows sound more like tight
quarters! Kevin finds out that in the Otuzco burial grounds, there's no such
thing as rest in peace!
- Are we there yet, Shawn? Abeja and Shawn gasp for
oxygen as the air gets thin on the hike to Lago Churup!
- The conquistadors are
back in Peru! Pizarro may have caused damage, but take a look at what Newmont,
Shell and Mobil are doing!
April 28, 1999: Peruvian Pleasures for Your Favorite Trekkers
- Before you dollop on some sour-cream and chives, did you ever think your potato
might be a form of pesticide? Genetically engineered foods may have "good"
genes, but they mutate the success of small farmers.
- Sure, barbecue potato chips are good,
but how about 140 other possibilities? Kavitha tells us how biodiversity in potatoes leads
to more than just a good chip.
- Wouldn't it be nice to have a whole community to help you with
your homework? Abeja tells us how community-focused living brings straight "A's"
to Peruvian villages.
- Kevin steps inside the largest gold mine in South
America, but discovers it has more to offer than just fine jewelry (and not all of it
May 1, 1999: Standing up for Peru (it holds your fate, too!)
says a 10-year-old can't be a mountain guide? Abeja tells about her hiking and tunneling
adventures in Huaraz.
- Kevin finds himself in royal digs at some ancient Peruvian baths.
- Explosions filled the air! Was the team in a war zone again?
Nope, just the farmers' signal to the spirits to keep the hail away.
climbs high above Cuzco and discovers why the locals say their city is shaped like a
May 5, 1999: Sail,
Gallop and Run with Us through Peru!
nothing as eternal as Nature, right? Think again... before it's too late!
journey into the heart of the Earth, and back again!
- It's champagne wishes and caviar
dreams for the wealthy, but what about your everyday Joe of the Inca Empire?
- Join Monica at
the center of the largest protest in Peru in nine years!
May 8, 1999: The
World Trekkers Strike Back!
- Why is Shawn bugging out on the Amazon
river? Found out about the cool conservation work he's been doing with ALPECA.
- HI HO
SILVER! Kevin launches onto the back of experience (better known as horseback) and
travels faster than he ever has before on a live animal!
- Just a stone's throw away from central Cuzco,
Kevin made new young friends and learned more about the ancient secrets of the
- The United States postal service may have next day delivery, but
find out why it can't hold a candle to the speedy Incas!
May 12, 1999: The World Trekkers on the
- Kavitha tells us why the Shinning
Path left everyone in the dark. Any hey! Be careful that your philosophy professor isn't
really a terrorist!
- Kevin visits an amazing temple that took so long to build the people who built
it don't even know how long it took! Worship nature and make an offering to the gods at
- Shawn boats through a visit built completely on rafts and stilts. Watch out for the
water, though! It can be filled with the remains fo last night's dinner!
- Abeja questions
whether going "modern" isn't a little out of style. Who needs Super-K in the middle of
one of the most beautiful places in the world?
May 15, 1999: "Living La Vida
Loca" in Peru
- The rain is just about over and it is fiesta time. Join Kavitha
and Abeja on their endless and fruitless search for the parties.
- What caused the single most powerful and
far-reaching loss of life ever to occur in the New World? Kevin explores the heart of
- It's the big one we've all been waiting for! Monica takes us along on her endurance
trek up to the great Machu Picchu ruins.
- She wears many guises - rain, snow, frost, hail, steams,
springs, and lakes. What is she? Find out from Abeja.
May 19, 1999: Making
Money and Paying Homage in Peru
- Kevin gets face to face with a
llama. Learn why llamas spit on possible sweethearts, and why you might want an llama
instead of a backpack to carry home your homework!
- Shawn wanders the Amazon looking for cures
and takes us on a walk among the treetops in the amazon. Don't look down! You could fall
into a pit of deadly snakes and flesh-eating mosquitoes!
- Kavitha visits the site of the "Battle
of Ayacucho" and tells us why the victors of a battle don't always win.
hangs out with university students who come from villages that have almost no contact with the
"modern world." Find out what these students want to learn and why.
May 22, 1999: Rowing, Boarding, Partying and Loving our Way through
- Kevin finds out that the nuns at the
Monastery of Santa Catalina in Arequina used to take showers once a month. Is this why
they never got married?
- To go or not to go? Abeja explroes the ramifications of
tourism in Peru.
- Find out why Monica claims there's no place on earth like the Uros Floating
- While the coca leaf destroys precious land, cocaine destroys precious
May 26, 1999: Connecting with Kids in Peru
- Take a thrilling ride on the whitewater down the
Urubamba River with Kevin
- When Shawn can't find any snow, he'll settle for some
- Abeja's heart is aflutter... Meet her
- Check out our very own beauty queen! Monica gets
dressed for a local fiesta!
May 29, 1999: Goodbye Peru, Hello Bolivia!: Poetry, Prisons, and
- Bringin' home the
bacon! Kati may only be 8 years old, but Kevin finds out she is one
- Shawn discovers a Danish dozen in a Peruvian hotel.
- The Pope, Muhammad Ali, and Bono in cohoots? Kavitha tells us why!
- Abeja is touched by an angel, but not for the first time.
- Monica takes the
plunge across the border as she heads over to the Co-pa, CopacaBAAAANAAAA!
- Monica takes us on a riveting adventure down under into a silver
mine. Wish her luck and don't forget the dynamite!
- Abeja and Kevin share some of their most
treasured poetry. We also learn about one of Peru's most celebrated poets, Cesar
- Kavitha gives us the word on how innocent people, including Americans, are
thrown into prison conditions worse than Alcatraz without a fair trial! Learn how
you can help!