|Click on the update you want to explore. A new window will open,
so you can always close it and come back here! |
The Team in
(February 6 - March 6, 1999)
Feb 6: Guatemala - Maya Civilization
Feb 10: Guatemala - Its Beauty and Its Pain
- Jamila and
Klaus begin exploring Mayan culture with a visit to tropical Coba, the ruins of a
- Visit a local school, tour a traditional Mayan home, and feed a
- Sacrifice a cigar and beer to the Mayan god, Maximon.
- Stroll through the
metropolis of Guatemala City with Abeja and glimpse its history and cultural diversity.
five Mayan sites including Tulum and Uxmal, site of the legendary Pyramid of the
Feb 13: Guatemala - Diverse People with Diverse
- The gang meets
their homestay families in the mountain village of Todos Santos where the houses
have dirt floors.
- Don't worry- even though there is no electricity, the team will do its
best to stay in touch.
- Talk with Maria Toj from Defensoria Maya, the indigenous rights
organization in Guatemala City.
- Look deeper at the atrocities committed against indigenous people
during the 36-year civil war.
- Countdown to the live webcast with Rigoberta Menchu.
Feb 17: Traditional Life and Hope for the Future
- Jamila sets off alone to a classroom in Belize where kids use
machetes instead of scissors.
- Find out why school children are barefoot.
- Visit a hospital and then
follow Jamila on the wrong boat to the wrong city.
- Jamila gets tongue-tied when she
realizes out of the five languages spoken in Livingston, Spanish and English are not
- Meet the Garifuna people whose ancestors are from Africa.
- Jamila hangs out
with local high schoolers and learns the meaning of a "Garifuna heart."
- Work alongside
Monica with the human rights organization GAM.
Feb 20: Post-war Guatemala
maize, the corn crop and Guatemala's most important food.
- Meet traditional communities.
- Journey with
Abeja to the Quichua Highlands to attend a human rights conference.
- Got a health problem? Hire
a comadrona, a traditional Guatemalan healer.
- Get ready to meet Rigoberta Menchu.
Feb 24: Modern Webcasts, Traditional Fincas and Everything in
- You think traveling and coordinating
schedules with four other people is easy? Think again. Abeja gives the low-down about the mini
civil war amongst the group.
- Abeja opens up to Jamila about meeting a mother of six who
survived the thirty-six year Civil War.
- Kavitha meets with the man who founded
Youth for Peace, a support program for teens in Todos Santos - a pueblo where
students must travel three hours to get to the nearest high school.
- Sean meets with the town
shaman or medicine man. He might suggest you throw eggs on the ground or sacrifice a
rooster to cure a particular problem.
Feb 27: Re-Writing
History and Preserving the Future
- Did you miss the live webcast with Rigoberta? You can still
catch the interview and go behind the scenes with Kavitha.
- After all the stories about
human rights violations in Guatemala, find out the truth about the U.S. government's
treatment of Native American peoples.
- Where do all these coffee beans come from?
Kavitha visits one of the largest coffee fincas.
- Abeja invites you to join a Guatemalan
- Say goodbye to Todos Santos as Shawn gives two final reports from the
March 3: Final Days in Guatemala
- Investigate with the team the U.S.
government's role in the atrocities of Guatemala's civil war.
- Witness with Abeja
the release of the Guatemalan government's official version of the history of
Guatemala during the war. What happened and who's responsible?
- Parade with Abeja and
gigantic floats representing Jesus through the ancient city of Antigua.
- Monica meets the
principal of a school in Concepción, and finds out how we can help the students to
- Kavitha travels into the depths of the largest rainforest in North America to
discover the endangered way of life for the indigenous people who live there.
- Jamila's last
dispatch sends her on a search for a doll that represents the appearance of most of the
children in Guatemala.
March 6: Goodbye Guatemala, Hello Centroamerica!
- Meet Kevin,
our newest Trekker! Learn about his last days in America, and hopes for the future.
- Visit Santiago
Atitlán with Shawn. This tranquil village nestled amongst huge volcanoes
has seen its share of war and environmental destruction.
- Abeja reflects on the tragic truths of
Latin America's longest civil war and the implications of U.S. involvement in the genocide of
- Kavitha shares Part Two of her story of deforestation in the Peten
- Discover in our team dispatch with the School of the Americas is otherwise knows
as the School of Assassins.
- Travel with Kevin through five countries on his first adventurous week in
Central America (watch out for big mamma cockroaches!).
- Admire artifacts with Shawn at the
base of the pyramids of Chutinamit on Lago Atitlán--but first you must row across
the lake standing up!
- Hear from Monica the story of a man who knows first-hand the striking
differences between protesting violently in Nicaragua and peacefully in Costa Rica.
with us the beautiful and unique country of Costa Rica.